[nabs-l] Stop Blaming the Economy

minh ha minh.ha927 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 01:01:31 UTC 2013

Are you kidding me? The economy is in the dumps right now and no
matter how well qualified you are, there just aren't enough jobs to go
around for everyone. I volunteer at a nonprofit that helps low-income
people look for employment, housing and benefits, etc, and I work with
people that have bachelors degrees and Ph.D.'s and they are hanging on
by a thread or actually homeless. If perfectly able bodied people
can't gain employment, then it's definitely a hundred times harder for
us to get a job because of our blindness. When the market is inundated
with qualified people looking for a position, who do you think
employers are going to look at first, the person with all the
qualifications that don't need accommodations or the person with the
same qualifications but need extra resources in order to work on a
level as everyone else. This is not an excuse for blind people to be
lazy and just sit at home and blame it on the economy, but it is a
reason why so many of us are unemployed.

Minh