[nabs-l] using jaws for school

Tom Brown tbrown.brl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 17:53:47 UTC 2013

On 11/18/13, William Bowman <william.bowman38 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> My name is Will and I have a question for you all. I am in the 10th
> grade and I'm starting to use jaws to help me with my homework. I'm
> hoping you all can give me some advice. I have trouble on the internet
> finding information on a website with jaws. I feel like using it is
> slower than looking at the screen but I'm trying to avoid since it
> hurts my eyes.
>
> When I'm doing research online I don't always find information quickly
> on a new website and I want to know how you all quickly find new
> information with jaws. Most wbeiste I go to have tons of links and
> lots of content. I've been taught some of the quick comands like
> pressing letter h for headings and e for an edit field and insert plus
> enter to find text, but is there a faster way? I get frustrated with
> places i haven't been before because I don't always know where the
> information I want is, and I'm tired of having to arrow up and down
> through a site for 10 minutes to find what I want. Sometimes I'll find
> a story, but it will be interrupted by advertisements and stuff, and
> it takes me forever to figure out where I am. Does anybody have any
> advice? I'm trying to get better at it now so I don't have to worry
> about it in the future. Thanks, will.

> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/tbrown.brl%40gmail.com

Hi Will,

First of all, you have to understand that every website is not going
to be JAWS friendly. There will be some websites that are easy to
navigate, and there will be some that you can;'t navigate at all.
Personally, I use "H" to go through my headings. I also use "N," which
should take you past all of the links and ads that you don't want to
read. I also use "P," which takes you to paragraphs. Most of the
content in a website is in a paragraph, so that should work most of
the time.