[nabs-l] Using JAWS for school

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 19 20:56:30 UTC 2013

Will,

Just a little note of encouragement, here's what I hope is words of
hope: Because of a nerve condition, I can't use Braille efficiently
enough. I use it, but for school, it just wasn't going to work without
being long and tedious. I'm totally blind, and I pretty much relied on
JAWS, and I can inform you that I was able to research, complete
assignments, read material, take quizzes and exams, etc. and do it
efficiently and just as quick as my sighted classmates in most cases. I
never required double time for exams, not even once in four years, and
being a creative writing major, my workloads were heavy on reading and
writing, and I was able to keep up and complete work, in and out of
class, without taking longer than others.

I'm now an editor, and I rely on JAWS to edit. Depending on what I'm
doing, it can take a little longer to do some things, but not inordinate
amounts of time. I'm able to edit pretty efficiently with JAWS. I would
totally use Braille if I could, but I've made JAWS work for me, and I
know others can too.

Also, I was sighted until I was 22, and personally, I find it easier to
use JAWS when reading text online than I did sighted, and I was a really
good, quick reader when sighted.

Hope this helps.

Bridgit
Message: 3