[nabs-l] Need some help college issues

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 22 05:59:18 UTC 2013

Bridgit,
Wow, I had issues but not as many.
Mine were related to securing texts in a usable format. Often the ds office
sent me pdfs which were unreadable. That, or the pdf text files were very
hard to understand because they had half the words stuck together.
Often, I just hated the electronic text and gave up that. I was in a unique
position to afford hiring readers since my family has that sort of money.
So I used readers and taped the reading in case I needed to go back to it.
I also had troubles securing accomodations to get access to printed
matterial in class; mainly getting the professor's slides and handouts.
Anyway, I just say this to point out I, too, had difficult professors, but
none so difficult as your situation.

You really have a tough situation! I suspect my ideas will be ones you've
tried.
Here it goes.
Refusing to accommodate you is illegal. Meet with the ds office. Then meet
with deans. Then see if your school has a formal complaint process and file
a complaint. Meanwhile, if you are doing terribly, I suggest withdrawing
from the class.

For the access problem, this sounds like a huge barrier; its like telling a
wheel chair user they can take the class, and failing to provide a ramp to
their seat.
All I can suggest is see if they will use a different site, but from what
you said, they likely won't.
What exactly do they do on the google sites? If file sharing, ask your peers
to email
you the documents. I ran into this issue in english composition, the
difference was the professor did not use it all the time as yours does.
For this one assignment, I  got the professor to email me the student files
I needed.
Another idea for file sharing is using drop box. I don't see why they cannot
just  use blackboard or whatever your online classroom system is, instead of
google sites.
Oh my goodness! It sounds like they're being stubborn.
Finally use a reader if they won't give you an alternative way to do the
work, but really they should, it’s the law.

For the art class, this, too, sounds discriminatory.
The professor cannot refuse to grade you provided you can physically do the
work.
I don't know what to say other than have the ds office counselor meet with
you and the art teacher to work it out.

Finally, the math course.
I am appalled to hear this still happens.
I also took a math course in college. I had the very same issue!
The book was not accessible on the MY Math Lab software.
I used RFB  which is now learning ally for my book.
In place of doing online work, I did work from the book.
Another option is to use a reader.

They should give you an alternative assignment since you cannot do your work
online.

I hope some of this helped.

Ashley