[nabs-l] Need some help college issues

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 14:59:28 UTC 2013

Where should she take it?

-----Original Message-----
From: nabs-l [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Littlefield,
Tyler
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 9:53 AM
To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Need some help college issues

Why is it that instead of working on alternative options, everyone jumps
straight for a lawsuit? Maybe she has went through a ton of options, but why
not take it higher rather than say "o gawd nfb time lets sue lets sue lets
sue o yeah lawsuit!"
On 11/22/2013 4:49 AM, Joshua Lester wrote:
> Bridget!
> Good grief!
> You've already gone the nice route, so now it's time to contact Chris
Danielson, and get the NFB involved!
> Can anyone say lawsuit?
> I wouldn't reckomend suing unless you've exhausted all of your options,
but it looks like you have!
> Good grief!
> Blessings, Joshua
>
> This is ridiculous. Based on the info provided, you have spoken with DS
and professors. And both haven given you I ignorant, insensitive, rude, and
most importantly illegal feedback. In my opinion this is the proper time to
work your way up the chain of command. Talk to the head of
departments/colleges that the class falls under. Talk to the department
chair over DS. And need be, talk to the Chanselor. Document everything that
had occurred and remind them of their legal obligations. I'm not saying sue
or threaten to sue them. But in my experiences, Judy saying the word
"illegal" scares them because they don't want a lawsuit. Plus it lets them
know that you know your rights.

> I've had similar situations and this is what I did. I hope this helps!
>
> Bobbi A. L. Pompey
> (336) 988-6375
> pompey2010 at yahoo.com
> http://pompey2050.wix.com/bobbi-pompey
>
>> On Nov 22, 2013, at 12:26 AM, Bridget Walker <bridgetawalker13 at aol.com>
wrote:

>> Hi everyone,
>> I have reached a point where I need all the help I can get. First it
helps to have some background. My primary disability is blindness due to a
TBI. I have another component to my condition which is spastic CP.
>> So I am now a junior, an education major, and think I have it all. At
least that's how the semester starts.
>> I need to know what do I do if due to my secondary disabilities that are
not blindness professors either refuse to accommodate me all together or
focus on one disability and not the other?
>> My next question is in the area of equal access. I am all for advocating
for yourself in this area and using whatever you have to get the job done.
>> One of my professors uses google sites and although I made her along with
DS aware of the accessibility problem I am still required to use the site. I
sent everyone the letter Sean sent the list with my explanation but they
don't care.
>> Now we move on to art. I'm taking a sculpture class nice and tactile. The
professor refuses to grade me because I'm blind and have CP. I can't see and
can't move my hands the way other people do. She said I receive a pass fail
for the class and am required to do everything but not for an actual letter
grade. She told me at the start I can see powerpoints. Ok no if I read
Braille, have a guide dog, and get migraines when I use my eyes I don't
think I can see. DS didn't even back me up I had to bring my eye report to
the head of the art department to prove my disability. Let's add in the part
there is already documentation about my disability at DS.
>> Finally we get to math. Let me say I knew math was going to be a
challenge. My book is I not accessible on my math lab with jaws 15. The
college wanted me to downgrade my screen reader and my IE version so my math
lab might work. I tested it with an older version of jaws and windows seven
it is not compatible as far spas I know. Bigger point I should not be
downgrading my technology for a book.
>> Then to have them say what is the big deal?
>> We have an embosser on campus. We are lucky. I have Braille as an
accommodation but, we need someone to Braille my tests because I can't
that's not ok and DS is not trained. DS has brailled before and did well
they just won't do it I guess a confidence thing. So I have to take my tests
with jaws. Jaws and math are not a good combo.
>> I just want to know what do people think of all of this?
>> I have met with as many resources on campus to reach a common ground and
I get nowhere.

--
Take care,
Ty