[nabs-l] job advice

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 21:46:54 UTC 2013

Does your school have a book store or concession counter? You could get a job through your school working in the bookstore, selling snacks in the lunch room or working the concession stand at sporting events. The mall is another great place to look for work. You can work at a food counter, a movie theater, or in some retail outlets that hire teens. If you're confident with technology you can look for a job at a computer store like best buy, or a smart phone retailer. Tutoring is another option. You can tutor kids, or adults. My boyfriend is totally blind, and when he was your age he worked part time for a rehab agency teaching senior citizens how to use their computers. If you're looking for work experience and aren't too concerned about pay, you should also ask your school's guidance councilor to help you find internships in your area of interest. If you do this, though, be sure to tell her you want to hear all your options, and not just the ones she thinks a blind kid is capable of. Tell her to let you worry about how to get the job and do the job. This way you don't miss any opportunities out of ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone