[nabs-l] bard web site

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Wed Oct 2 14:55:20 UTC 2013

OK peter, it's all on you now. Get that thinking cap on and lets figure
this out. When I was younger, my mother worked a full time job and also
went to school full time while supporting two of us. We lived in Phoenix
and had no air conditioner in our vehicle because we simply could not
afford it. I suppose she should've foregone some of the beer and smokes
though.
now that your thinking cap is on and well, these services are only $50
and it's all our fault Bard is down, lets start planning, shall we?
How do you plan to:
1) Liberate NLS and bard from the government
2) Fund the narrators and readers and all the employees that work at
these libraries to give us books. Let me give you some figures.
Lets say 10000 people a year subscribe to bard at the low low price of
$50 a year (they've chosen to forego their smokes and beer). That gives
us $500000 a year to work with. Now lets say we have I don't know, 20
employees that make minimum wage and work 40 hours a week. 8*20 = $160
an hour for these employees, but lets figure this out for the whole
year. We'll even give them 35 days off, shall we?
8*20 = 160 --we pay $160 an hour to all of our 20 employees.
160 * 40 = 6400 --we pay $6400 a week to all of our 20 employees
6400 * 48 (we gave them 35 days off) = 224000
Now obviously 20 employees is a really low number. If you double that
you're almost at your really really optimistic 10000 subscribers with
only 40 employees.
Now that we have our thinking cap on, how do you propose to solve this
problem? On another note, do you believe that we would have fre shipping
through USPS if we were to liberate these organizations from our
government? How would you plan to pay for mailing if not? (Some people
stil do get books on cartredges). How about paying for the servers that
hold all of these books, and the upkeep? I can guarantee you the people
that secure and manage the servers make well above $8 an hour.