[nabs-l] bard web site

Kirt kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 16:09:03 UTC 2013

Peter,
While I am generally fiscally conservative i'm with Tyler on this one. I would just like to make two points because Tyler I would just like to make two points because Tyler has already offered a very excellent rebuttal. Comparing this list to the Supreme Court you are definitely authoring the dissenting opinion, justice Littlefield has written a quite excellent majority opinion, so here's my opinion concurring with the majority.
First of all it seems reasonable to compare the national Library service to the thousands of public libraries operated by local governments all around the country. Logistically, due to reasons like the scarcity of braille and relatively small numbers of blind people, it's necessary for our public library to be operated by the federal, rather than state governments. I'm curious if you are opposed to the idea of public libraries in general or is it merely the idea of blind people accessing public libraries that you find repugnant? If your problem is with government – subsidized libraries and if you think blind people ought to be granted equal access to the same resources available to sighted people, The only logical conclusion seems to be that your problem is with public libraries in general, and not our specific public library in particular.
Also,touting Book share as a successful private program free of government intervention scenes, at the very least, ironic. It's worth remembering that free access to book share by students, not to mention the deeply discounted rates offered to the rest of the blind community, are only available because of grants and other financial assistance from the government. So, contrary to your assertions, we are depending on government money whether we use barred or bookshare.

Sent from my iPhone