[nabs-l] Fwd: [Cabs] TVI Braille Training

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 01:48:56 UTC 2013

Also, what he might do is look at TVI training programs and examine
how much braille they actually teach.

The TVI I had from kindergarten through the 8th grade was very old
school in her teaching and knew her stuff really well.  She went to
vanderbuilt to study braille, (I am not sure Vanderbuilt has a program
any more) and said that when she was tested on the code she was
blindfolded and told to braille signs on the Perkins Brailler.  That
was how the professors at Vanderbuilt made sure their students were
proficient in braille.  I don't know if she had to read it with her
fingers or not, but she could write it really well even years later as
a TVI.  She was fabulous, and I'm not saying there aren't fabulous
TVIs out there today because I know a lot who are, but I'm not sure if
that kind of proficiency is being stressed in all schools.

It also might be interesting to consider the decline of standards in
TVI education, or research that even if it's just one part of the
report.

Just a thought.

On 10/10/13, justin williams <justin.williams2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think North Carolina does not teach braille; but be sure I am right
> before
> you use that.   I remember hearing something to that effect.  If I am
> wrong,
> someone please correct me.

Kaiti