[nabs-l] Question about visual job requirements

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 22:35:06 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have an interview for a job that requires surveying an area and
doing walkthroughs. This job is in a homeless shelter, so they are
naturally very interested in maintaining a safe environment for its
patrons.

I really believe that I can do this and develop a rapport with patrons
that is positive and builds trust. But this is a drop-in shelter where
people do not live long-term so I will be meeting new patrons every
day. But how do you combat this in an interview? I can make friends
with anyone I want, but I may not be able to detect things like drug
deals or other unacceptable behaviors that can occur without many
auditory cues. I am aware of the immense stereotypes that plague
homeless women and I certainly understand that many patrons do not
engage in unacceptable behaviors. But I am trying to think like the
interviewer who is hiring someone to cover a liability. Furthermore,
if you do work in this type of environment, how do you phrase
questions as not to invade someone's privacy? From years of working
with children, I know that staying attentive and maintaining a
conversation can tell you almost all you need to know about
mischievous behavior, but advice on being aware of your surroundings
and establishing immediate respect and confidence in others that you
have the ability to do this and that you aren't one to be taken
advantage of is always helpful.

I would love to hear advice and personal experiences that people have
had working in an environment that can become hostile or unsafe.

Thank you.

--
Cindy Bennett
Secretary: National Association of Blind Students

B.A. Psychology, UNC Wilmington
clb5590 at gmail.com