[nabs-l] Students with guide dogs

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Sun Sep 1 02:14:13 UTC 2013

I am not talking about specific to guide dogs.
1) Taking your dog to pets smart you are supposed to have proof of rabies
and shots. They don't ask but it does say it is required.
2) Dog in the park at baseball stadiums requires every owner of a dog to
have proof on them.
3) Pet expos
4) Dog boarding and doggy daycare

This is for all people and all dogs.

Sorry I fail to see the big deal about providing a form to disabled
student's services.

And why disabled student services and not another department on campus is
because disabled students services cannot tell any other department
anything about their clients so how would they know who had a service dog.

It is people like you with legitimate guide dogs that will start having
tons of problems soon because more and more people are faking service dogs
just so they can bring their pet to the store with them. People aren't
faking canes so they can bring them in stores, on planes, in restaurants
but they are faking service animals.

I have no issues with showing proof when asked. It is just like if someone
wants a benefit say senior discount, military discount, student discount,
disabled line cuts if you chose to use them, I see nothing wrong with
having to prove you fit that category. There are to many dishonest people.
I wish I have a card that stated I was legally blind provided by the ADA or
something.

I had no issue showing my id card from Guide Dogs when asked. I was asked
on several occasions because I have usable vision so people thought he was
not a real guide dog.

It's just like people who have handicapped placards they give you an id,
well a slip of paper, that verifies you are entitled to the placard and you
have to show it if asked.