[nabs-l] Students with guide dogs

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr. freethaught at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 20:43:19 UTC 2013

Minh,

I think this issue requires a pick your battles approach.

The school official probably shot off the answer that sounded best to them at the time they were writing your email message, and they did not consult any requirements by any school department in order to draft a response.

This reason sounded good to them at that time, so they shut off an email to you with that as an excuse.

I might treat this as a practice for bigger battles with my dog. Respond with a denial to provide the documentation as requested, and see what the responses. Stand your ground, state the facts, and they will back off.

There are enough battles guide dog users must fight, and practicing your technique may come in handy. Smiles.

That said, I do not see a big deal with simply providing this documentation someone decided it was reasonable to request.

It is important to say they should not require this information, but that they have the right to request it. You on the other hand have the right to deny giving that the documents.

You might as well reasoned with people who might be reasonable. They may go to bat for you later if you are discriminated against because of your choice to use a service animal.

There is no right way to deal with this issue. That is why you ask, and got lots of opinions, even though 99% of them had nothing to do with your question.

These are my thoughts.

I hope you go get some practice.

Best,

Antonio