[nabs-l] Students with guide dogs

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 19:39:46 UTC 2013

Hi all,

First of all, though the issue of fake service dogs complicates
things, it is not helpful to treat the guide dog school ID as an
access card that will prove the legitimacy of our dogs.  I know plenty
of owner trainers who have very well-behaved dogs.  They would not be
able to prove that they got their guides from a school.  So then, what
would happen?  They would be kicked out of establishments or forced to
make their own IDs.  What would this accomplish?

As for showing documentation to housing, dorms and other on campus
housing are covered under the FHA(fair Housing Act).  Under FHA, it is
illegal for a housing association of any kind to ask for health
records on service dogs.  We could debate all day about whether or not
this is a good idea.  Frankly, I can see both sides of it, at least
for dorms.  But it doesn't matter because it is actually illegal.  So
are pet deposits, size requirements, and of course, refusal of the
service dog for any reason.  This covers public housing accomidations
and depends on numbers.  Anyone renting a certain number of rooms,
apartment complexes, and dorms are covered.

I would also point out that it is the handeler's choice where to take
a guide dog.  Noone can or should decide that for anyone else.  I, for
example, will always take my current dog to convention, but I
understand and respect those who choose not to do this.  It is also
not up to anyone but the handeler to decide when to use the dog.  We
guide dog users get a lot of opinions from others about when, how, and
what to do with our dogs.  Yes, some of them are well-meaning, but
much of the time they are uncalled for.

I do agree that some guide dog users make a bad name for the rest of
us.  But at the same time, every guide dog user makes a mistake.  I
have had moments where I dropped the leash for a second, and my dog
ran after another dog.  I got yelled at and deserved it.  We are only
human and make mistakes and get distracted.  Remember that the next
time you see a dog relieve itself in the hotel at convention.  My dog
has never done this, but she has done other embarrassing things at
convention.

I think we need to give each other a little grace here.  It's time for
the cane users to support the dog users and their rights to take
charge over their own dogs.  (This goes for other dog users too.)  And
it's also time for the dog users to stop worrying about the dog verses
cane debate and use their dogs and canes when and how they want.  Yes,
dog users still have to use canes some of the time.

My last point I would like to make is that it is within the law for
the owner of an establishment to refuse access to a dog who is dirty
or otherwise disruptive to business. This is what a lot of people tend
to forgot about the ADA.  So if a dog is not groomed and is not clean,
the handeler will have other problems besides bothering people with
allergies.

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National