[nabs-l] Students with guide dogs

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Tue Sep 3 02:00:03 UTC 2013

What does well behaved dogs have to do with properly certified service
animals. I should not be able to take my German Shepherd into a store just
because he is well behaved and I am blind if he is not trained to be a
guide dog. I would love to bring my dogs everywhere but they are not
trained as guide dogs. I believe that service dogs should have to be
properly trained and certified by an agency otherwise everyone will just
bring pets into stores and claim they are service dogs.

I have seen several dogs in stores recently with nothing on them indicating
they are service animals but becausee they are small no one says anything.
I bet if I brought my shepherd into costco someone would say something
about it.