[nabs-l] Questions regarding transition to cane use

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 02:02:07 UTC 2013

Hi Ashley,

First of all, welcome to the list! I am glad that you have found it as
it is a great place to ask questions and share ideas. As you probably
noticed, this is the NABS list. NABS stands for the National
Association of Blind Students. We are a division in the National
Federation of the Blind that naturally is made up of blind students
and interested parties. I am the secretary and serve on the board with
8 other people, and we would love to answer any questions that you
have about blindness and the NFB. Furthermore, if you would like to
identify where you are from in an email offlist, I can connect you to
students in your area if you are interested.

I think it is great that your opthamologist is encouraging you to use
a cane. It can be a great identification tool if you are asking for
help, but it will also be a great tool to help you find your way
around. Anything that you can do to prepare for more vision loss ahead
of time will only make your transition easier. Using a cane will make
you more noticeable, and people may be curious and ask questions, but
I think that adjusting to using new tools now will maximize their
usefulness to you as you transition.

I think it is great that you are going to get in touch with state
resources for blind people. The NFB does have a free white cane
program though, so you can get a cane and try it out for free! Just go
to www.nfb.org and click on the link "request a free white cane."
Generally, I use a cane that is the height of somewhere between my
chin and my nose. The faster you walk, the more advantageous a longer
cane will be fore you so you can clear more area in front of you at a
time. I am sure that you will be able to speak with an O&M instructor,
someone who teaches blind people how to travel with a cane,  when you
get in touch with your state's resources. But the NFB operates 3
training centers for blind people who employ O&M instructors. I have
several friends who teach cane travel and who teach at these and other
state centers who I would be happy to get you in touch with if you are
interested.

Just some background about me. I was born with a tiny bit of vision
and was able to see colors and objects if they were very close to me.
I was staunchly against using my cane. However, as high school
progressed, my vision deteriorated. At one point, my teacher who
converted my materials into braille came up to me and told her that
the vice principal said that if I did not start to use my cane, I
would start to get in trouble. She mentioned that he wanted to tell me
but that she thought it would be easier if she told me, and I am
thankful for that. It was a huge transition for me. I was embarrassed
that I was on the verge of getting punished. I was a straight A
student who never got in trouble and teachers loved me. But I was
completely ignoring an essential component of being an independent
person and that was using a cane and confidently navigating my
environment. I wish that I had gone through this much earlier in my
life. I missed out on years of being confident in who I was because I
was stubborn and had negative attitudes about my life and blindness.
So I really believe that if you tackle the challenges of transitioning
to using the tools that blind people use , you are carving a much
smoother path for yourself.

I think it is great that you are on the list. We have a lot of members
who have been through similar transitions and who would love to talk
to you and support you.

Cindy