[nabs-l] In class assignments and popquizzes

Lucy Sirianni lucysirianni at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 3 15:05:19 UTC 2013

Hi Suzanne,

      I requested that exams be emailed to me and took them in
class on my BrailleNote.  I did not use extended time and simply
emailed my completed exam to the professor once I was done.

      That said, given your specific situation, I don't see why
you couldn't take the exams at home, with access to your CCTV,
the larger computer screen, etc, and email your responses to the
professor within an agreed-upon amount of time.  A professor
might hesitate to allow this accommodation for closed-book exams,
but given that you're expected to use materials besides the exam
anyway, I would think this would be permissible.

Hope this helps!

Lucy

<nabs-l at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 10:32:29 -0400
>Subject: Re: [nabs-l] In class assignments and popquizzes

>I do tests in two ways.  It it is a scheduled test, I get it sent
to the disability office to be made sure it is completely
accessible, including language settings, tables, alt tags for
graphics.  I don't usually use double time unless there are many
tactile images, like there were in Biology, or I have to read it
in Braille, like for mathematics, since I am a slow Braille
reader.  Doing the test in the disability office ensures that I
have someone available if there are problems.  I schedule to take
the test at the same time as everyone else unless I mean double
time.
>If it is a pop quiz, the professor puts his or her digital copy
of the quiz on a flash drive that I provide.  The professors know
from the beginning of the semester that this is how we will do
it, so they have the digital copy ready.  I put the flash drive
in my laptop, put my answers in the digital copy, then turn in
the flash drive when the other student's turn in their tests.
The professor moves the file to their computer and returns the
flash drive by the end of class.  They can then print it or grade
it in the digital file, and give me the graded paper or file.  If
they grade it digitally, they usually email it to me.  I prefer
this to cut back on the paper I have to keep up with.
>I hope this method makes sense to you and it helps you figure out
the best method for yourself.  Also, I use JAWS to do this,
though for language class I sometimes use my refreshable Braille
display so I can see accents and spelling.

wrote:

>> I have two course that at least weekly if no every lecture have
in class
>> quizzes or assignments.  These are open book ,open notes, talk
with other
>> students, ask professor questions...

>> How do you handle these.  For example, are they provided to you
in large
>> print, braille, electronic? What if you are someone use uses
extended time
>> on things like tests? What about the access to books? At home I
use the
>> print book with my cctv so I can flip to index then flip to
page.  This is
>> not the same with the pdf.  Also my monitor at home is 27 inches
vs 17 on my
>> laptop so I am much faster on the large monitor.  I have always
been a print
>> reader and do not do well at all with audio.  Since my vision is
stable
>> there was never a need to not use large print or cctv.  I also
find it
>> difficult to work with other students since I can't see their
work and even
>> when I say I am legally blind or visually impaired and ask if
they can
>> write bigger, they still write in their normal size which is
too small and
>> with very like pencil.

>> What are your techniques? Do you do it in class with an
accessible format?
>> Do you take it home and return it next class?

>> When I went to school years ago 1980s-1990s they did not do all
this in
>> class stuff.

>> Thanks

>> Suzanne