[nabs-l] Seeking input on handling my first community outreach event

Anjelina Cruz anjelinac26 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 19:41:52 UTC 2013

Good afternoon fellow NABSters,
I hope your semesters are kicking off to a productive start. For
anyone who has experiences with large gatherings and community events,
I need a boost of confidents or an honest observations of challenges
you may have faced in large settings.
I'm in my last semester toward a bachelors of social Work degree which
requires completing an internship. In a few weeks I'll be one of many
ambassadors at a community event for homeless people. Homeless Project
Connect brings together as many services possible for a person who is
homeless with the end goal of finding them the help they may need.
The event will be held in a large complex on two floors with booths
and tables. As an ambassador we are asked to write down information
about the person in a designated folder as they go throughout the
process of obtaining the specific services they need. For instance, if
they need a birth certificate, I will be responsible for walking with
them to the Vital Statistics table as well as helping them fill out
the information form at Vital Stats.

As long as I could have the forms sent to me in an electronic form,
I've considered using my laptop, however my battery does not hold a
charge very well. How would you handle this type of situation?  I
don't mind asking questions to find specific tables, but what if my
client walks away from me and I can't find him or her?
Since everyone will be writing notes on each person they assist,
information they requested, observations about the person, or
questions the person may have so the coordinator can follow up with
each client, how could I effectively complete this task?

Thank you all for your input and advice.
Best wishes for fall 2013!
--
Anjelina