[nabs-l] speech-language pathology or special ed

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at comcast.net
Fri Sep 13 19:49:52 UTC 2013

Good afternoon, Kelsey, and other interesteds,

 From what you have learned of a potential speech language pathology
direction, does it seem that you can do the job? Now, I'm not
talking' that shit about "as well or better than ol' Sighty." You
gotta make your strategies related to working in the field of speech
language pathology, your own.
Don't worry about anyone's standards or, the way they think it should
be. You don't need that.unless it will help you feel motivated if not
entirely comfortable. I am thinking about getting a masters degree in
speech-language pathology.  However, I was talking to my former
second grade teacher yesterday about it.  She said that she doesn't
think I would be successful with this because of the high degree of
visual tasks such as being able to see how someone is moving their
mouth during speech or things like that.  I indicated that I could
maybe do it by feel, but she still feels that this would be too
visual.  This came from having talked to the speech therapist at the
elementary school.  On the other hand, I have also considered the
special education field.  I have been tutoring two students in
Braille since June and really enjoy it.  My sister thinks that I'd
make a good Braille teacher.  So I am wondering which field would be
better suited for a totally blind student.  I want to make sure my
money is being well spent.