[nabs-l] Finding seats VI that does not use cane or dog

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 19 23:00:12 UTC 2013

Hello Suzanne,

I would also suggest using a cane as a means to identify yourself as being
blind or visually impaired. Although in addition to identifying you as blind
or visually impaired, the cane could also help you navigate various places
you find challenging when using your vision alone.

I think the teasing goes away as you get older. However, I am not quite sure
if this holds true with the notion of others thinking that you can still
see. I remember hearing someone say this about me because apparently I was
looking this person directly in the eyes from across the room. I could
barely make out the general outline of this person given the distance and
the lighting conditions much less be able to visually identify any details
of this person. However, nonetheless, the person still questioned my ability
to see.

I know you can use a cane with a roller bag, so perhaps you can experiment
to see which technique works best for you. I know you have concerns about
placing your water bottle in your bag. Have you tried using a smaller
bottle, and then refilling it at a drinking fountain? Or perhaps you could
try using one of those water bottles that you can strap on your back like a
backpack.

I would definitely encourage you to give the cane another try. I really like
the long NFB white canes because they are so light when compared to other
canes. If you are interested in trying out one of these canes, I believe
there is an application form on the NFB website you can fill out to get a
free white cane.

However, I also understand making the transition to a long white cane can be
difficult for some people. I know this to be true because it has been
something I have struggled with in my own life. So if you are still in that
stage where you are just simply not ready to make this change in your life,
then perhaps you can just simply ask someone where there might be a chair
available, and leave the part about being visually impaired out of the
conversation.

Warm regards,
Elizabe