[nabs-l] Grade Expunging

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 20 21:04:05 UTC 2013

Bobby,
I'm assuming you are asking this because you have a grade on the transcript
which you wish would be removed.
No, I haven't heard of any grades being removed on the basis of lack of
accomodations.
I do know many students who did not do well or in some cases failed a course
due to accomodation issues.

If you already have the grade, the best thing to do is discuss the problem
with your advisor. See what options you have now to raise your GPA.
I really doubt grade expunging is an option but this is a question for your
advisor since every school is different.
As Arielle said, I'm surprised you went through a whole semester without
taking action to secure accomodations or withdraw.
Typically, withdrawing is an option  that does not impact your GPA. Also, if
you could not complete the work in time or something like that, discussing
with the professor some issues and then taking an incomplete may be
optional.
I would think the best option is to retake the class. Retake it with another
professor if possible.
If this is the only course you have grade issues with, then this should not
affect your GPA too much provided that you retake the class and do better.
If its an elective or a course you have other options for, then you might
pursue those options for that type of credit rather than retaking the class.
What I mean is schools have requirements for certain subjects but within
that requirement, you can take a number of classes to fulfill that
requirement.
For instance, my school required you to take a two class science class. I
chose biology as the lesser of the evils as science is very hard for me.
I could have picked chemistry or geology though to satisfy this requirement.

So, I am suggesting you take another class to satisfy this particular
requirement.
All schools are different, so talking to your advisor or someone higher up
like an assistant dean
is  a good approach to see what your options are.

Also, as Arielle said, do not go through the semester without the textvook
and materials.
You can get volunteer readers or even paid ones if you can afford that. Pay
them by the hour as I did.
Another option if you can study with audio books is Learning Ally. You can
download the books and play them on your computer, braille notetaker, or
mobile smart phone and other devices. You can also get daisy cds if  you
have an accessory such as the victor stratus to play them.
Their site is www.learningally.org for more info.

For other accomodations, work with your dss office and professors to get
those.
If the professor fails to accommodate you, tell dss and then go up the chain
if needed.
I had a professor refuse to give me his powerpoint slides and got dss
involved.
I also had another professor who refused me extra time on online quizzes
which I felt I needed as it takes longer with jaws and blackboard.
So my dss counselor spoke to the professor about this.

I had a few professors who either were not accomodating or just hard to work
with.
In such instances, I either did not take the class, took it with another
professor, took a different class  to satisfy that subject requirement, or
as a  last resort I took the class and worked as well as I could with the
professor.

I hope things work out for you.
I know how it feels to not be accomodated well or in a timely manner. I've
been through that a lot!
Professors seem to forget to send me accessible handouts and slides and to
add to that the professors do not check email enough. So when I keep sending
them emails as reminders, I would not get a response. Now, I was not  a
pest. I emailed once or twice  a week. But I felt I needed to be persistent
when they failed to respond. If that did not work, I would call them if they
gave us their number.
Also, speaking to them in person stressing how important access to material
is often helped. I did this during office hours.
They have five classes to teach as a full time professor plus  other duties
such as committees. If they are adjunct, they have one to three classes to
teach typically. Adjunct professors have another job usually and leave
campus after teaching
So they are very busy and forget or just don't want to give you material in
accessible format.

I hope things work out.

Ashley