[nabs-l] Dealing With Gaps In Resumes and Having Little to No Work Experience

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Tue Sep 24 15:30:29 UTC 2013

I have huge gaps in my resume. The most recent is 10 years out of the
workforce. I am back in school now so I worry about the same thing. I
graduated high school in 1982. I start college then but for various reason
never finished. I am now finishing my BS and will graduate in Fall 2015.
During these 10 years I stayed home with my daughter (My fiance worked and
I receive SSDI) I was also fortunate to be able to pursue and passion of
mine and compete nationally as a bodybuilder. So I worry also about big
gaps.

To your questions. I was always on SSI or SSDI while in school.

Now I am trying to get into research and or internships to help my resume.

Did you apply  for financial aid? I was told in a Academic and professional
success class for engineering transfers that it is better to have student
loans than work during school because you can do research, internships, get
involved in clubs and volunteering and all those things employers look for.

There are many people who return to the workplace after choosing to be a
stay home parent so if you just say you chose to be a full-time parent to
you child I don't think they would look down on that.

Suzanne

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Misty Dawn Bradley <mistydbradley at gmail.com