[nabs-l] Portable devices for school

Robert Miller rmiller at osb.k12.ok.us
Sun Sep 29 14:08:17 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,

Our State Education Department is pushing our schools to support the one-to-one portable device concept.  Meaning a device, such as a laptop, net book, or tablet for every student in the school.  I'm on a committee that is tasked to make recommendations on which device or devices would best serve our blind and low vision students.  I was hoping you wouldn't mind answering a few questions about your devices.

1. For those using a screen reader with their tablet, such as VoiceOver on the iPad, what tasks do you complete mostly; word processing, reading textbooks, reading pleasure books, surfing the Internet, email, texting, etc,

2. For those using some of the tablet's low vision settings, such as Inverted Colors, Text Size or Zoom on the iPad, what tasks are you completing mostly?

3. What tasks are you completing on your laptops?

4. Are the netbooks a good solution for those using a screen reader?

I want to thank you in advance for your feedback and helping me better serve our blind and visually impaired students.

Thank you,

Robert