[nabs-l] Internships/Jobs Requiring a driver's license car

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 30 22:19:36 UTC 2013

Bobbi,
I think you should use your networks and career center to get an internship.
Its hard enough getting an internship because they are so competetive even
if you have excellent grades and references.
I remember my unsuccessful attempts to secure internships; I applied for
nonprofit jobs with a nonprofit called Volunteer Fairfax. Each summer they
got a grant from Exxon to give to nonprofits. This grant was divided up to
give each intern a stipend for two months of interning. I applied for
several positions and was interviewed for one job. I was not selected.

The driving issue did not come up for me.
I agree with Jane. They are looking for the top notch candidates and one who
can get around fast; that is with a car as public transit is often slower.
So, I would not apply. I would do my best to apply to jobs without such a
requirement.

Barriers are definitely transportation. Just because you may be able to get
around does not mean
that they will let you transport clients. What about transporting materials?
If you use public transport or paratransit, you may not have room to
transport this stuff.
Also not everywhere has public transit.

You have the legal right to work here with proper identification. You can
use other forms of ID other than a drivers license.
But if the job requires driving, there is often no way around that.

If you know the organization though, you may be able to call and negotiate
something with them.

Ashley