[nabs-l] Personal characteristics and traits of successfulblind people

melissa R Green lissa1531 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 18:49:14 UTC 2014

very good point arielle.

Have a blessed day.
Best Wishes
Melissa R. Green and Pj

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arielle Silverman" <arielle71 at gmail.com>
To: <jsoro620 at gmail.com>; "National Association of Blind Students mailing
list" <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2014 7:51 PM
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Personal characteristics and traits of successfulblind
people

Perhaps the issue is whether we are talking about individual or
collective success. On a group level, as you point out, blind people
experience less success than their sighted peers, and face several
tangible obstacles that I still contend are all part of lack of
opportunity. On an individual level, though, blindness is more
relevant in some of our lives than others. I don't think blindness
affected my own academic experiences much. This was because I had
training and opportunity, and because I was in a field where nonvisual
access was pretty easy to come by. For others of us blindness
presented huge obstacles. I don't like the generalization that
blindness is a handicap for all of us but instead I would argue that
the impact of blindness is very dependent on context. Even in the last
few days visiting my family for spring break, in a place where there's
little public transit, nothing in the kitchen is organized or
Brailled, etc. I feel a huge loss of the independence I am so
accustomed to living on my own. My blindness didn't change when I flew
to Arizona but the surrounding situation changed instead. I do think
our philosophy needs to focus on improving our situations, which is
what I think is meant by creating opportunity, rather than on
eradicating blindness or blaming our troubles on blindness. Blindness
is a fixed thing but our situations are highly flexible and as a
collective we must continue to make our situations better for us.

Arielle

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/arielle71%40gmail.