[nabs-l] Success and Why I Left the NFB

Antonio Guimaraes freethaught at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 00:04:54 UTC 2014

Peter,

I have not read much about the NFB and ACB rivalry in this thread until you brought it up. Your message below tells stories I've seen you post on otter occasions. These stories did not happen last year, or two years ago, if only memory serves me right.

I just attended my first ACB state convention this weekend, and I found literally no mention of the NFB. Little, zero, zilch.

I was one of the only people who alluded to it because I knew others knew of my involvement in the NFB in Massachusetts. I expressed my delight to be welcomed at the BSCB convention. Granted it was not the most exciting of events, but again, the Rhode Island state convention is not all that dynamic either. I haven't attended the past couple of them, so one could argue I can't say much since I haven't been there.

I was asked by at least two of my NFB friends why in the world I would attend an ACB convention. Maybe these friends were surprised that I would branch out. They may have previously seen me as close-minded, so attending the ACB event would be out of character. Maybe, and I would say, likely, they saw no reason, or benefit to going to the conference.

Let me remind you and others that ACB conferences and events is where you'll find half of blind consumers. What favor will I do myself, and each organization, by limiting myself from benefiting from what good each has to offer.

what a pity also to each organization not to tap into the talents and contribution you and I have to offer.

Antonio