[nabs-l] Some computer questions

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 21:36:40 UTC 2014

Hi Arielle,

While netbooks have mostly been replaced by tablets, I believe that
ultrabooks are still fairly popular - The last time I checked (I was
shopping for a new laptop about a year ago) there were plenty of
ultrabook models to choose from on Amazon.com. I ended up going with a
regular laptop because I wanted something with enough power to run
SPSS, but most of the ultrabook options looked very promising to me.
You might be able to get slightly better hardware with Macbooks for a
similar price, but based on what I remember from the other discussion
thread on the Blind Academics list (which I believed you were also a
part of), the accessibility of MS Office on Apple platforms still has
much to be desired, especially for those of us who use features like
comments and track changes extensively. Surface Pro is a Windows-based
tablet, though I'm not sure if it runs third-party screen-readers like
JAWS. I'm curious about what you end up deciding so keep us posted!

Katie