[nabs-l] Grad School and Training Center?

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 7 01:23:34 UTC 2014

Sarah,
Well you have met a good milestone in being accepted to a counseling
program. Will you be a clinical counselor or what?
That is some accompolishment!

Regarding training, could you get itenernant training now? For instance get
someone from a lighthouse for the blind to meet with you once a week?
Its not nfb style, but maybe this will help. I, too, fear rehab will say
likewise to me. Other than my O&M skills wich suck due to spatial
challenges, my situation is similar in some respects. I have an undergrad
degree. I cannot decide whether to go to training or a job. Rehab will
likely tell me I'm well adjusted too. Like you, I have decent technology
skills and braille skills. I cannot cook much though and lack confidence in
housekeeping. I'd pick another center than nfb style, but that's me, I
already tried our state center. But yeah, I know what you mean about out of
state training.

I have some suggestions:
1. go to training for the full program after grad school.
2. Go to the summer programs only.
3. You might be able to start your grad program and take off the fall
semester one year. Between summer and fall, this gives you six months at the
center. Talk to your advisers; maybe they can hold your place after a
semester for you to return.
4. Go to the center for less than the full program; you will benefit, but
will not get a certificate or freedom bell.

As for the justification, I'm sure your state nfb leaders can assist and
Arielle here. She had decent skills, yet went to a center to improve.

Good luck.
Ashley