[nabs-l] An international student

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 23:49:35 UTC 2014

Hi Siddhi,

First, congratulations!

I think that reaching out to networks of blind students will really
help you so I'd say you're off to a good start! If you tell us where
you will be studying, I will check my network and connect you with
local blind students if I know any.

I work with my state's department of services for the blind. They
assist me in purchasing blindness-related equipment such as screen
reader software and are able to provide training if I need to increase
my skills using a particular technology. They are also often able to
provide some orientation and mobility services around your new campus.
However, I have found that networking with blind people in the area
has given me a much better idea of the layout of an area than working
with an instructor. However, the option could be there. The only
caveat is that these services are often available to U.S. citizens. I
am less familiar with services offered to anyone.

In Seattle, a business with a nonprofit foundation, the Lighthouse for
the Blind, does offer some O&M instruction to anyone who needs it
based on a contract they have with Metro Transit, our public transit
agency. Other cities have similar nonprofits, but they are often
diverse in what services they provide and how many of the services you
can take advantage of.

Cindy