[nabs-l] Finding a niche in campus orgs

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 04:49:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

Yeah, it is really helpful when the person who primarily needs things
to be accessible is the one in charge.  That way universal design is
almost always thought of.  I have had similar experiences; I was
president of Future Educators of America for a while, and really was
able to give some serious thought to how activities we did could be
adapted if necessary to suit kids with special needs.  We did a Dr.
Seus day, and an end-of-the-year carnival for them, and also wrote
letters from Santa's elves for a first grade class to receive.  I was
able to tell my board, "Remember to print your letters so the kids
will be able to read it more easily, and make them big so I can see
the writing too," and "Let's be sure to bring backup plans for
students who may not be able to do the activity exactly as we've
planned."

Minh, I've had a similar situation when I wanted to communicate with a
deaf person, and found it really challenging too.  I know a little
pigeon, which is basically a form of sign language which uses only the
word signs without finger spelling, so I know enough to get by with my
end of the conversation and a deaf person would be able to understand
what I'm telling them.  The issue is just getting it back to me.  One
of my classmates had her dad come in to speak to music therapy club
last semester, because he is deaf himself.  He started teaching the
club some signs I didn't know, so I really wanted to learn them.
People around me were trying to help when they could, but it was
difficult because they were trying to do the signs themselves too.  I
went up to the guy and we talked about it.  Granted, it was a little
easier because he knew how to read lips and could also speak really
well, but he helped me to learn the sign language for "Sorry, I can't
see you," so I could let a deaf person know if it wasn't obvious, and
then he said the best way to handle a conversation would be to use any
signs I know, (HE also taught me to say "I don't know much sign
language,") and then have the deaf person finger spell back if they
couldn't speak.  If at least one person can use the signing for more
fluent conversation, it makes the whole thing a little less time
consuming for everyone involved.  It was really cool talking to him
though, because after he helped me with that he took an interest in my
notetaker, and wanted to know about it.  The blind student was asking
about sign language, and the deaf guy about braille, and we both
learned.  I wish more conversations like that could happen in
organizations on campus, because I thinik it is important for us to
learn things about people with other disabilities, (nondisabled
students especially, but us too), and it was just a really cool
conversation in general.

Anyway, I'm rambling, so I'll stop while I can now.  :)