[nabs-l] Grad school and training Centers?

Sarah Meyer sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 00:59:03 UTC 2014

Hi Ashley and Cindy,
Thanks so much for your responses!  You have all given me some great
things to think about.
Yes, Ashley, after this program I would be able to take the licensing
exam to be a Licensed Mental Health Counselor.  From there, I hope to
practice therapy and eventually possibly pursue a PhD in Clinical
Psychology.  I would be interested in teaching at some point, but my
dream is to do the clinical mental health counseling, very possibly
with girls/women who are working through anxiety, depression, PTSD,
eating disorders, self-harm, etc.

Anyway, I really do think that attending a Training Center would help
me to flourish as a grad student and a professional in my chosen
field.  I am going to talk with my Admissions Coordinator and advisors
at my Grad program and ask if there is a possibility to defer for a
year (new admits may only begin in summer/fall term).
Now...to choose which Center, and to convince VR...
Any suggestions on how to build a strong case with VR for sending
someone out of state? For many reasons, I absolutely do not want to
attend a local "Rehab" program for blindness training (I won't mention
any names).

--
Sarah K. Meyer
NFB of Indy - Community Outreach, Advocacy, and Legislation (COAL), Chair