[nabs-l] Grad school and training Centers?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 03:45:13 UTC 2014

Hi Sarah,

I think everyone is different in this regard. Personally I think if a
student has good enough skills and confidence to do well in undergrad,
you can probably do just as well in grad school. In many ways grad
school can be easier in terms of accessibility and self-advocacy
because you are in a smaller program. For me however, going through
training made it easier for me to move out of state for grad school,
and with Ph.D. programs the pickings are slim enough that willingness
to go out of state is almost a necessity. I don't recall from the
original post if you're going to grad school out of state, but if
you're not this might not be an issue. The other reason I'm glad I did
training before grad school instead of waiting is because I got
married during grad school and it would have been tough on my marriage
to go away to a center afterward. So I'm glad I went while I was
single. This might be less of an issue though for you if your grad
program is only two years long. Either way it is a very individual
decision.

Arielle