[nabs-l] studying psych and medicine

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 23:49:36 UTC 2014

Hi Jeff,

The short answer is yes. I know of at least two blind psychiatrists:
Tim Cordes and David Hartman. Tim Cordes spoke at the 2010 NFB
convention. I don't think I have his contact info anymore, but if you
Google him you can probably find a way to be in touch with him. I
contacted him by email when I was in high school and he was in med
school, I think, and he was very helpful.
I also began college as a pre-med major and everybody was very
supportive. The only real reason a blind student might have trouble
going through med school is if the admissions folks or instructors
have negative attitudes. However, there is precedent, and if one
school rejects you you can just keep applying until you get accepted
somewhere. The med school curriculum itself is doable with
accommodations.
There is also a book by David Hartman called White Coat, White Cane,
that is available through Learning Ally. David Hartman went to med
school before the Rehab Act and ADA were passed, so he had trouble
being admitted, but his experience could still be relevant.

Arielle