[nabs-l] the meaning of independence

Sophie Trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 16:47:15 UTC 2014

RJ, this is in response to your post on the AP statistics thread.
I just thought I'd change the subject to reflect the new topic.
We've had this discusson on the list recently, and it was a very
good one. Independence is an abstract idea, like love, hope,
faith, happiness, etc. It means different things to different
people, both blind and sighted. It is every person's job to
decide what independence means to them. For me personally,
independence means to be able to have control of my life and my
own destiny. It doesn't necessarily mean not relying on sighted
help, as that is sometimes necessary and even beneficial. But it
does mean not relying on help for everything. For instance,
independence is the ability to go to a local concert using public
transit even if a friend can't drive you. In that way, you have
the transportation skills necessary to control where you go and
how you get there.

Yours sincerely,
Sophie