[nabs-l] In person versus online for the summer

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 28 05:11:26 UTC 2014

Zach,

It sounds like this is your first time at the school. is this right?
It depends on the class; some may be fine online but others, such as health,
science, and economics may not be.

In terms of blackboard, its mostly accessible. But, I use it and have
challenges in some areas. I cannot submit assignments in the drop boxes
since I cannot get to the browse button to click it to  attach a file. Also,
quizzes and tests pose some challenges because its radio buttons to select
your answer. You can select your answer with space bar, but jaws tends to
read the whole question again with your answer, not just your current line
with your choice. Also, there is no way to see which questions you skipped
without listening to all choices again. So, I've had to have someone skim
the test for me for blank questions.

Another concern with online classes is the professors have no clue about
accessible documents; they will just upload documents in the way they want
to. Scanned files will not read. Files with a column layout will be a
problem.

If it’s a class with a lot of reading, you may be okay online; like english
or history classes.
But if its technical and visual like a science or economics class, I would
say no.
With these classes, interaction with the professor becomes more necessary
since you need to understand graphs and other diagrams.

Its up to you. I'd opt for the face to face because you get to see your
professor and interact with the class and often this helps you learn to be
in class having discussions.
But I'd say online may be doable, but it really depends on the class

Good luck.

Ashley