[nabs-l] difficulties in highschool

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 20:18:59 UTC 2014

Hi, Ana,

I agree that check lists are important.  What I do is something like
this.  (I do it now in college, and I did it all through my K-12
education on a notetaker).
Math---Problems 1-53 odd on pages 207-211.  Due Tuesday 12-2-14.
English---Read chapters 7 and 8 of The Scarlet Letter tonight.  Be
prepared to discuss prejudice and cite examples from the book thus far
in discussion tomorrow.
Social Studies: None, but remember that the paper on the French
Revolution is due on Friday.  Write at least a page of the 5 page
paper tonight.
Science---Complete the practice test on page 318 of the book in
preparation for Thursday's test.  Practice tests are due tomorrow in
class, and we'll go over the answers.
AP Psych: Test corrections are due on Tuesday Dec 3.  Remember to cite
the source used to find the correct answer and write why it is correct
to receive full credit.
Misc---Cheese and Saussage sale packets are due at the start of band
on Monday.  Don't forget to bring $10 to play rehearsal tomorrow to
pay for stage makeup kit.

This is something like I would have written in high school.  I also
like to include a misc section to keep track of other deadlines.  I
used to check things off, but now I prefer to just delete things that
I've accomplished so the list is shorter.

I don't want to assume how much work you have on your plate, but I'd
recommend taking a look at how well you budget your time.  Are you
socializing too much after school?  Are you involved in too many
activities?  What times are you getting up in the morning and going to
bed?  It might be easier to do your household chores in the morning
before school, so that afterwards you can focus on homework.  These
are just ideas, not necessarily suggestions of what you should do
since I don't know what your routine is like.

As for understanding assignments, how much do you speak to your
teachers or counselors about the problems you have understanding
assignments and literature?  Are they fully aware of the problems?  I
have found a lot that sometimes people are worried of asking questions
like this, but those who are in positions to help you might not know
what is going on if you don't tell them.

Hope these things help you.

On 12/13/14, Roanna Bacchus via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi Ana this is a great discussion topic.  I am a junior in
> college earning my Bchelor's degree in Interdisciplinary Studies.
> I would set reminders for due dates on my IPad so I know when
> things are due.

Kaiti