[nabs-l] difficulties in highschool

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 17:32:45 UTC 2014

For the most part, this is right; but you may want to spend a little
time learning how to manage both.  Depending on what your housing
situation will be, and what your university offers, you may have to
learn to juggle school, social activities, and home management chores.
I know some universities have apartments which students can live in
on-campus.  These are different from the dorms though, as the cleaning
staff generally only cleans the common areas.  When I lived in an
apartment last year all the cleaning people did was vaccum the outside
hallways and lounges, sweep up the stairways, and clean up messes
outside of individual apartments.  They only came into the apartment
over winter break for a fire safety inspection and at the end of the
year after everyone moved out to clean.  All the cleaning (sweeping,
mopping, cleaning the bathrooms, wiping down the counters, vaccuming
the carpeted areas) was up to the people who lived in the apartment.

The same can be said for houses.  I'm not sure how unique my
university is for having student neighborhoods with houses in them,
but this year and next year I'll be in a house with five other girls.
We divide the chores evenly among us, and work on a rotating schedule
so no one gets stuck doing the same task.  We're pretty flexible about
it; our rule is that it should be done within the week you're
scheduled for that chore, Sunday to Sunday, some time.  The only
exception is trash, since that takes multiple trips from the kitchen
to the dumpster outside throughout the week.

So, it's possible that this isn't something you'd have to worry about.
If you're planning on living in a dorm for all ofyour college career,
then your house chore responsibilities will certainly be limited.
However, moving out of dorms and into apartments/houses on campus has
it's advantages, even if you have to take out your own trash and scrub
your own toilets from time to time.  Plus, you'll need to learn to
manage house management and work eventually, so it may be better to
look at this problem from a time management perspective and just
practice it now.

Kaiti