[nabs-l] Your experience with college search

Michael D Ausbun mausbun at unr.edu
Mon Dec 15 19:18:58 UTC 2014

Hello Phil:
	I was fortunate, in that I was able to take college courses at my University when I was still in high school; because of this, I was able to grasp the necessary information, in order to determine that this is the right University for me. By necessary information, I mean the inner workings of the Disability center, the mindset of a majority of professors on campus (I spoke to as many as I could find, just because I was interested), the layout of the campus and the difficulties in terrain/inaccessibility of the campus ahead of time, which allowed me to adapt.
	I am finding though, as I look for Ph.D. programs which will fit my specific needs, I am at a slight disadvantage. Many of the schools which I am looking at are no ware near where I currently live, making my previous deduction skills useless. Moreover, I could email professors, but it isn’t the same as talking to them. I can’t interpret their voices, the positioning of their body in relation to mine, etc. which would help me make the choice of whether they accept me or not, etc.
	Furthermore, when I have traveled to other Universities for Speech and Debate, I have encountered some difficulties in terrain. This made me realize, the layout of the campus is a key component to how I may consider going there. I know for sure, I will not ever choose to go to the University of the Pacific in Stockton, for example, because buildings are separated by great distance and stairs are labeled; moreover, almost no room has braille signage.
	Stuff like that would impact my decision, I think.
Respectfully,
Michael Ausbun