[nabs-l] One can live without disability services and others

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 16 03:27:50 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Interesting points. First, how sad that a blind student would take advantage
of the setting like a take home test or unproctored exam and then cheat. You
do yourself no good by this.
My exam settings have been in the learning center for the private college I
went to. Tests were always supervised and I also had to sign an honor code
thing. When at George Mason university, I took them in a private place but
now they have an official testing center;  I took it unsupervised with jaws.
but, I did have safe guards so I did not cheat. First, I wasn't allowed to
use my own notetaker. I'm very surprised when I hear colleges let blind
students let them use their own laptop or notetakers.
Second, I left my things in the main DSS office so its not as if I had notes
with me. Yes, I could have found a way to cheat if I thought of it, like
slipping a phone with notes in my pocket, but it never crossed my mind.

At the community college, I take them in the testing center.
It is not really proctored. I simply walk to a private room to do the exam
with jaws or a pre arranged reader.
But I never have had the temptation to cheat. I notice they do not ask me to
leave my belongings in a locker; I guess they feel that's harder for me, but
I don't make an issue of it because e I'd rather keep my items rather than
have to have
someone help me with the locker.

Second point. I agree that dss should be used in moderation.
Someone wrote in and said they did it without them. Well, you can in the USA
too. but here is the ting. You have to have supportive professors and
supportive family, this is simply not the case in USA colleges. you often
live away from family. Even at home, not all parents will read texts to you;
simply do not have the time or skill to.
Also, , I think its wrong to have to do an exam on your own time. we need to
do it at school with some supervision  like everyone.

Of course you can do it with out dss; I've know a few blind students who did
just that at private schools.
But the key to success was securing your own accomodations with professors
and advocacy and flexibility of all parties.
Finally,  I think many of us find it nearly impossible to secure
accomodations due to the university or college structures and policies. For
instance, to receive accomodations via the community college and GMU which I
referenced earlier , you have to go through DSS and get the accomodation
memo. Professors are not technically supposed to accommodate you without
your accomodation memo.
Also, I know from experience and those of other blind students, you have to
go through dss to get electronic texts. you simply cannot! contact
publishers and request it because of a disability. they have to hear it
through dss.
So because of these policies and structures, we are bound to contact dss in
some way. but that said, most of my dss offices have done the minimum and
I've had to be an advocate and secure accomodations with professors. DSS was
simply there to give me my accessible texts. Also, they were there to say in
the official memo, here are ashley's accomodations, and you have to follow
them.
Beyond that, they were little involved. I've had to politely get after
professors to email me accessible handouts and powerpoints, for instance.
I've had to remind them to read stuff on the board if they write it, etc.
So, don't think that because we have DSS involvement, that its very easy. In
my experience, you have to still  be an advocate and work hard to get your
accomodations. its far from being handed to you.

So, its not that we cannot do it Gerardo, its that conditions in US are
different; so don't compare apples and oranges.

Ashley