[nabs-l] MS Word 2013 Spell Check with JAWS 16

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 19 16:04:22 UTC 2014

Hi Cindy,

I am not the most tech savvy person out there, but I thought I would try
answering your question since no one else has responded to your message.

I am using JAWS 15 with Microsoft Office 2013, and I have had some
difficulty getting used to the new spell check layout in Microsoft Word 2013
as well. I have noticed that you need to use the tab key instead of being
able to use the shortcut keys such as alt plus I for ignore and so on.
However, as I was using it just now so I could accurately respond to your
message, I noticed the buttons to tab through were in the same order every
time I came across a word that was misspelled.

I do not use Microsoft Excel all that much, but I noticed that you could use
the shortcut keys such as alt plus I for ignore that you could not use in
Microsoft Word. I can also use these shortcut keys when composing email
messages in Microsoft Outlook as well. I do not have JAWS 16, so I do not
know what difference this makes when using Microsoft Office programs.
However, since I experience a similar situation with JAWS 15, it would seem
to me like the issue is with Microsoft Word rather than with JAWS.

I am not sure if any of this helps you or not, but I thought I would at
least try responding to your message. I believe there are some NFB email
lists dedicated to the discussion of things related to technology. I would
suggest posting your message on one of these lists if you are not able to
receive the answer you are looking for on this list.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth