[nabs-l] grade 3 braille

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 02:33:50 UTC 2014

My TVI spent a lot of time teaching me Grade 3 Braille in middle
school. I learned it and then rapidly forgot it. Thing is, you don't
see it in books or any other Brailled publications, and it's only
designed for personal shorthand. I don't really understand the purpose
of learning a formal code for shorthand when you can just make up your
own abbreviations. Seems the reason we memorize formal codes is so we
can read the materials that other people give us, like books. If
you're just writing notes for yourself why does it matter what symbols
you use?
I know my TVI meant well, but wonder how many under-resourced children
she could have taught Grade 1 and 2 Braille to using the time she
spent working with me on Grade 3. Seems that would have been a far
more productive use of her time.

Arielle