[nabs-l] GRE Questions

Zach Mason zmason.northwindsfarm at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 01:48:27 UTC 2014

Hello Justen,

This information might be too little, too late, but just offering.  I took
the Voice GRE just as they were phasing out the old GRE back in 2012. It had
much to be desired at the time. I was 100% a PC and JAWS guy, and never used
a Mac or iDevice, so that probably didn't help when it came time to writing
the essays. I will never take the Voice GRE again. My scores were well below
in the writing section. (Not trying to scare you.)

I am now brushing up on Braille in preparation to take the Braille GRE. It
has proven a time-consuming process to obtain Braille practice material. I
would recommend requesting at least four months in advance to the time you
believe it will take you to prepare for the GRE if you intend to take the
Braille one. It took far less time to get the Voice practice material. Also,
I wouldn't be hesitant to hound ETS weekly.

I've only spoken to one ETS representative who is knowledgeable about
testing accessibility. Her name is Nora Hallenbeck. I have her contact
information below.

Nora L. Hallenbeck
Senior Customer Service Representative
GPE Disability Services
Telephone number: 1-866-387-8602
Fax number: 609-771-7165
Direct telephone number: 609-359-7617
Email: nhallenbeck at ets.org

I'm including a link to accessible GRE practice material.

                http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/disabilities/

So I would budget about 1 to 4 months, depending on your test format
preference, to get practice material, and 8 to 12 weeks to actually study
for the GRE. There is also test material online, sometimes not 100%
accessible, but feasible to use that will help you learn just how much
studying is needed.  I'd probably aim to have a test date when you call ETS
for practice material, but I'd inquire if that's the best way to do it.
Sometimes they have trouble scheduling.

I've never found GRE classes helpful. Whether or not that's a matter of me
not knowing how best to manage my accommodations or if it's just because I
learn best by teaching myself I don't know.

Best of luck!

Zac

Zachary Mason

Assistant Shepherd and Young Stock Manager

Northwinds Farm

(603) 922-8377 Work

(603) 991-6747 Cell

 <mailto:zmason at northwindsfarm@gmail.com> zmason at northwindsfarm@gmail.com