[nabs-l] Braille music

Ryan Silveira ryan.l.silveira at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 23:55:03 UTC 2014

Hi Marissa,

It would be a bit difficult to actually send you an attachment with the braille music code.  I could send you something that lists the code (e.g. 8th note C = dots 1 4 5), but even if I listed all the notes, that’s just the very tip of the iceberg.  In order to read high school band music reasonably well, you’d need a whole lot more than just the very basics.  What you need is the Primer of Braille Music.  That’s the best book there is for learning braille music.  You can get it from NLS (National Library Service) at the Library of Congress.  I can’t remember if it was you who said you never use them, but if it was, you should.  They’re a great resource.  If you contact their music division and ask for the Primer of Braille Music, that would be your best source for starting to learn braille music.  Then, if you’re serious, there are two summer programs into which you could look.  There is Braille Beats in Michigan, which is a very good program for fairly serious blind musicians.  If you are really, really serious, to the point where you are seriously considering studying music in college, there is the Summer Braille Music Institute, run by the National Resource Center for Blind Musicians which is held in July in Philladelphia.  The National Resource Center for Blind Musicians is excellent.  I know the director really well and I can put you in touch with him if you like.  Feel free to e-mail me off-list if you want to discuss further.

Ryan