[nabs-l] Facilitation tips

Darian dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 07:25:29 UTC 2014

I have led a few discussions as a facilitator, and you will find that many blind folks do that with minimal modifications and a little bit of effort.

If I am leading a discussion or I am in a group where facilitation is taking place, I ask that instead of iContact or raising of hands, that people might say their name in order to be recognized.  I tell people that as a facilitator I want to make sure that everyone's voices heard and this helps me to do so. If I am not facilitating, but a part of the group I will ask that they do this as it will allow me to share equally with The group.
Sometimes it takes a little getting used to for everyone, but eventually people get it.
On my student council the practice of saying one's name has been picked up and is still used even after I know longer sit on it
  Sometimes, council members would raise their hands and state the name. It's a little repetitive, but I guess since old habits die hard, why stop people from doing that, so long as they adhere to the auditory accommodation.

This electronic message has been brought to you by my mobile device.