[nabs-l] Facilitation tips

Sandra Gayer sandragayer7 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 23:18:36 UTC 2014

Hello,
I've taught in small groups and I didn't have an assistant, sighted or
otherwise. It depends where you are in the room, in relation to the
other people because I found it easy to tell who was lost, who was or
wasn't concentrating so I would home in on them without their having
to ask. Sometimes, of course, children will have questions and they
just prefaced with my name automatically. However, I would echo what
has already been said. Start as you mean to go on. Suggest to your
assistant that he or she stands at a distance from you and only
approach you if you give a signal that you need help. (This can be
prearranged and doesn't, necessarily, have to be a visual one). Ask
people to address you by saying your name, followed by theirs, (if you
can't identify everyone by ear yet). Above all, have fun with it and
deliver your rules in a fun, personable way.

Very best wishes,
Sandra.