[nabs-l] how did you learn visual concepts in school

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 23:56:53 UTC 2014

Hello,
I know many of my posts have been more serious o nature, but this
one is a little more interesting.  I started working on an
aarticle for the Braille Monitor about teaching math and science
to visually impaired students, but I haven't worked on it lately.
Therefore, I would like you to think back to when you were in
school.  What were some visual concepts you had trouble
understanding and what physical gestures did your teachers give
you to help you visualize better? This could be either the
regular classroom teacher or your teacher of the visually
impaired told you.  For me, some of the ones that I was told
were: In geometry class, we were learning about different kinds
of angles such as vertical, suplemental, alternate interior,
alternate exterior, etc.  The way vertical angles were explained
to me was: Cross your fingers on both hands and then touch your
hands together.  The ppaaces where your fingers meet are what
vertical angles are like.  Another was in physics class when we
were learning about positive and negative attraction in terms of
magnetism.  I was a little confused about the concept, so the
teacher asked me to hold both hands out in front of me so they
are close together bn touching and then move them toward each
other to symbolize magnets being attracted and apart to
illustrate polarity.  Having her do that helped a lot.  I must
say that at times I felt pretty silly in that class lol
considering all the physical gesturing I had to do in order to
understand the concept.  What about you? What physical gestures
did your teachers come up with to help illustrate an otherwise
difficult concept to understand? What class was it and what were
you learning about at the time?
Thanks,
Kelsey Nicolay