[nabs-l] How To Handle Inaccessible PDFS?

Aleeha Dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 01:53:20 UTC 2014

Hello,
     I'm going to try and tackle your questions, but if none of this
makes sense, feel free to email me with questions.
First: as to what you can do with the PDF, Kurzweil, OpenBook, or
Abbbyy FineReader, you will be able to convert the document on your
own. You can also try, if you have a scanner, printing and scanning
the document into your computer, if it doesn't scan into jpeg or Tiff
images, that is.
     As for what to tell your professor, I find the best rule of thumb
to use is this. If you can't highlight a small portion of text in the
document without highlighting the whole document, it is an image and
needs to be converted. Most documents originate electronically. So, if
your professor can find the original file, tthat will definitely help.
Image PDF's are an unfortunate occurrence in the academic environment
and the best thing for us to do is to educate people constantly about
the barriers that these documents present.
Hope this helps,
Aleeha