[nabs-l] 2014 NFB Student Scholarship

Chopper Johnson chopper992 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 13:59:02 UTC 2014

Helga:

As Darian said, most of the stuff about the scholarships can be found on
the NFB.org scholarship page, including the email for all
scholarship-related questions (scholarships at nfb.org). You should be able to
get any answers you need by contacting that email. Also, check out the
scholarship FAQ page: https://nfb.org/scholarship-faq

As far as what format your personal statement should be in, I'd say the
same form and font you use for class work. It is submitted electronically,
so anyone reading it should be able to manipulate it into whatever form
they are most comfortable with. But, you may want to stay away from odd
fonts, anyway. And when they say "700 words or less," they don't mean 705,
or 701. Patti is a lawyer by trade; I wouldn't try to fudge it.

For the transcript, they want an official transcript from your school's
Registrar's Office, or Academic Affairs. The school will make an official
copy, stamp it with the school seal, and send it out. Wait about a week and
email the scholarship email to make sure it showed up. Some schools do
official transcripts through PDF, but it should be sent by the school, just
to be safe.

One last thing: Go ahead and schedule your meeting/call with your state
president. His or her recommendation of you will carry a lot of weight with
the committee, so be prepared to be the best you can be in that interview.
It's a big step toward making it to Orlando. If you do make it, be prepared
for the longest week of your life.

Good luck.

-- Edgar "Chopper" Johnson

Edgar "Chopper" Johnson
President, Student Division, National Federation of the Blind of South
Carolina
epjohnso at g.cofc.edu <epjohnso at edisto.cofc.edu>
chopper992 at gmail.com
(843) 817-5321