[nabs-l] Learning to learn faster

Antonio Guimaraes freethaught at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 00:52:34 UTC 2014

Hello ladies,

Sophie, I am happy to see you keep up with your classes in braille while in high school. That time is when I think we need to develop great braille skills that will indeed allow you to spell, retain information, and dare I say, keep certain areas of the brain sharp by the unique experience of the interaction between touch, and language.

I believe, and there may be research to back this up, that neuro pathways are built that would never be built otherwise when you have language input through the fingers. This type of experience must be very different, if not deeper and more meaningful than hand-eye coordination. I don't know what to call the language learning through touch experience, so I'll leave it to one's creativity to name it.

There is no electronic equivalent to solving math problems, learning geometry, trig, geography, and the like. These things involve manipulating the information. These tasks require you to interact with the page. This comes naturally and sooner to a sighted student, and we do ourselves a favor to allow ourselves to explore geography, geometry, trig, and higher power forbid, actually solving math problems.

There is a beautiful thing taking place when a blind person can access these types of subject matters if for no other reason than to break through the common misconceptions among blind people themselves that geometry and the like is hard, and impossible, and no place for blind student to go playing in.

I see your point, Sophie, when you say you can search for text in a braille file, but the same can be true for otter electronic formats. I still haven't managed to use search features with bookshare material in the Read2Go app, but electronic content is electronic content no matter what. I mean that if it in a digital form, you can search it, copy, paste, and the like.

the point you make that sounds most important to me is that you retain more when reading in braille. I've felt the same way, but I can only support this argument anecdotally. I read very little braille, even though I use it every day on the braille sense. Braille is on at all times, and I always read my braille sense content in braille. I don't go out of my way to download and read something off of BARD, Bookshare, etc, but I seem to relate to the material I do read in braille a little better.

There aren't simply enough hours in a day to justify a lot of braille reading for me, even if one could prove I retain better with it. I prefer listening to a spoken article at double speed, and speeding my thought process than slowing down to 60 or 70 words a minute in braille to spell better, and retain more.

I benefit more from retention and comprehension at 400 to 500 words a minute over days, weeks, and years much more than my 70 words a minute with braille.

No doubt I'd increase my braille reading speed a lot with practice, but it would never come close to how fast I listen to something.

Antonio

PS: For more articles like this one you can listen to read by a human at double the speed, check out an app called Umano in the app store.