[nabs-l] Learning to learn faster

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 02:25:11 UTC 2014

When I was an undergrad student, I used a combination of Braille,
E-text with JAWS, and audio recordings for my textbooks, depending on
what was available. I didn't keep track of how much time I spent
working on reading, but I don't think the amount of time ever seemed
excessive. I usually got in the habit of reading book chapters all
the way through rather than skimming, but then I didn't need to
re-read before tests. I could just study my notes and that was usually
good enough. I did find that it was essential for me to take notes if
I was reading through audio either with JAWS or an audio recording;
otherwise I would forget the material. If I read using Braille I
didn't have that problem. I had a Braille Note then, so note-taking
while listening to JAWS was easy. Now that I no longer have a Braille
notetaker this has become less efficient for me, since I have to stop
JAWS and go into a notes file every time I  want to write something
down. However, now as a doctoral student in dissertation stage, nearly
all my work is writing. In some ways I miss reading! :)

Arielle