[nabs-l] Learning to learn faster

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 03:03:16 UTC 2014

Antonio and All,

I would suspect that the comparative efficiency of Braille vs text-to-speech software is dependent upon the speed at which you can read/listen to each. I, for example, find it easier to skim read using Braille; indeed, I believe I can comprehend information better when reading it in Braille. While I can and do read often with speech, it is a method which I prefer for shorter and less detail-oriented material—emails, Facebook, Twitter, books I read for pleasure, etc. However, I currently read Braille at about 180 words per minute, while I can comprehend JAWS at about rate 115 and VoiceOver on iOS at 100 percent. If one can understand TTS at a much faster rate than he/she can read Braille, it would only follow that speech would be more efficient. This does not mean that the slow Braille reader should not work to improve his/her reading speed. I am only pointing out that I believe it is important that we evaluate which method is more efficient for each of us and use that method when productivity is at a premium while working to improve our proficiency with the other.

Chris Nusbaum

Sent from my iPhone